RSS Feed

Letter to 5/6A students

January 29, 2016 by joode   

Dear students of 5/6A,

Welcome to our upstairs room. This is the second time in my teaching career that I have been allocated an A after the year title hence I’m quite pleased with 5/6A. Boy oh boy, do we have views of our surrounds. I give you permission to look out over the school grounds and beyond every now and then. It is also good for your eyesight to develop your long range vision. We are lucky! However I need brute strength to pull down the outside blinds so volunteer to gives us a hand.

I hope your holidays were full of interesting things and that you all had a good rest from school. You all know me as Jude but my name is really Judith, Margaret, Mary, Ryan. Long ago I decided that I would like to be called Jude. My little brother struggled to pronounce Judith and for many years I was Jube, Jube. As I grew older people began to call me Judy. I hated it! I began to like the name Jude. I thought it suited my personality more. When living in London I also was named Judy with the emphasis on the ‘e’ sound at the end. I hated this even more! So I decided to put my foot down and have everyone acknowledge that I was a ‘Jude’. So now all of you are now officially called Jude’s Dudes. Have fun with blogging especially posting all your work and including your readings of selected titles using audacity.

I’m so looking forward to teaching you and being with you every day just enjoying your company. We also will be working closely with the other 5/6 students with Ant and Lee so it will be a very collaborative and tight knit group. It will be exciting and fun!

Christmas was fantastic with my family and close friends including my grown up children Katherine, Damien and Timothy. We ate turkey, pork, glazed ham and roast vegetables followed by plum pudding, cheese cake and pavlova for dessert. I made the pavlova as it is the dessert I always make for special occasions. Katherine and Damien did most of the cooking including Katherine’s famous plum pudding following my Nanna’s recipe.  Nan was gorgeous and a lot of fun! Katherine is named after her. The rest of us helped to set up the tables, cut vegetables and organise the nibblies before the main meal. We began eating at midday and didn’t finish until 10:00pm.

We took ages to give out all the presents under our very tall Christmas tree. I love celebrating Christmas! How was your Christmas Day? Did you hop in and help too? I hope you received the presents you liked. Tell me about your favourite one and why you loved it.

Most days I walked about 6 kilometres, following the path in different directions along the Maribyrnong River. I also caught up with many friends that I hadn’t seen for a few months – walking and going out to many dinners and breakfasts with them. Each week I met up with the mums from kinder. They are the mothers from Maribyrnong Kindergarten that my children attended all those years ago. It is lovely that the friendships we made then are still as strong today. How’s that for perseverance? Some of them accompany me to the footy during the year. Go Tigers! I’m impatient for the season to begin as always.

You have probably worked out that I love food by now! Boy, do I love it! However the students who were with me in 2015 know that I have given up sugar but I still eat well. I just don’t eat sweets, drink soft drinks or fruit juice and am now very aware of the sugars that are in processed foods. I’m a real ‘hawkeye’ at the supermarket!

I also read many books including the adult The Children of the Earth series and discovered Anne Tyler as a fiction author. I went to the cinema a few times. I loved the cinematography in The Revenant. Of course I am a Stars Wars fan and had to go see this epic in 3D and at Imax. I can’t wait for the next one.

Early January saw my country cousins and I spending days having fun in and around Albury. We were attending my niece’s wedding which was beautiful in Albury’s Botanical Gardens. I adore weddings and with a big extended family it is so special to be together for something as lovely as a wedding. My grandparents were also married in this historical town.

In my large, native garden full of different trees, shrubs and flowers I spent many, many wonderful hours. I have successfully grown much of my plants from seed that I have collected and cuttings I have taken over the years. My Dad was a great gardener so I am so grateful that I inherited his talents and love of the environment. I also wrote many long letters with photos and such to friends overseas. Mum was a terrific letter writer. She wrote as if she were talking to you. Mum and Dad died many years ago. I think of them daily and cherish the wonderful times we shared.

I tell stories in class including family yarns and would love you to feel so comfortable in our classroom that you would share some of your experiences and dreams too.

Towards the end of the holidays I spent time at Indented Heads near Portarlington loving the beaches and just watching the variety of ships and boats sail past. Again as I walked I collected plant cuttings that I could grow back home or pestered people as to the name of plants that I was unsure of. I also stayed at Moriac, a little town between Geelong and Anglesea. Being a country girl, from Ballarat, I love being on a farm. If you were to watch me you would find me sniffing the air or plants continuously. In spring you will find me with my head in the little tree near the front gate on Wilson St. This gives the most powerful scent and is always the one to herald in this new season.

The Australian Open was wonderful to watch on the telly. Usually I attend a few days but not this year. That is another thing I love to do – play tennis. I don’t care if I win or lose I just adore playing and the afternoon teas of course! What do you love most when on holidays?

So the holidays for me were full of different events and spending fun times with family and friends. Tell me about your fun times, the people you were with and the places you visited. I can’t wait to read your news and know you better.

Jude

»